Week 10: Ethnic Studies
Angela C. Stanley
Week 10 Readings/Videos: Rethinking
Ethnic Studies Intro, Precious Knowledge Trailer (2-minute video), (Some)
History of the Struggle (8-minute video), Providence Student Union's Campaign
for Ethnic Studies in Schools website, Patrick's Testimony (2-minute video),
and Latifat's Testimony (3-minute video).
This week,
I was assigned the Ethnic Studies column, which consisted of an article
discussing what Ethnic Studies are and a brief history of it within the US, a
Providence, RI website pushing for ethnic studies, rights, and equalities, and
various videos surrounding the idea of ethnic diversity. The idea of Ethnic Studies in these contexts
were defined as historic education of the oppressed, people of color, and revealing
the truth behind the history written by the victors of war. Historically, this form of education was seen
as a threat to society, and to this day, many are still fighting for the right
to Ethnic Studies.
This week’s
assignments helped me reflect on myself and my own upbringing as an Asian
American woman, raised primarily by my white mother, in the public education system
of a very diverse Woonsocket, RI. I
remember feeling like I could connect to the history lessons about predominantly
white figures throughout the American timeline because I acknowledged the fact
that I have European ancestry and I was never ashamed to admit that. However, as I got older, I realized that my
ancestry isn’t as important as my race is to society. When I stepped out of my house, it was almost
as if my identity was chosen for me.
When people look at me, most immediately know I am Asian and that is how
I am treated.
When I was
watching the videos and testimonies about being a person of color and not
knowing the history of those people, I felt ashamed. I felt sad that I enjoyed my history classes
as a child growing up and I didn’t even think of the history of my Laotian
father and his story. I felt angry that
the most world history I got to learn about was the history that
involved the intervention of white people in non-white societies.
I find it very scary that I believe
I was “brain washed” as a child, in a way where I felt like I was not a person
of color. I believed that I was simply
an American and I just should know about American history because this country
is “the greatest in the world.” It wasn’t
until recently that I realized that I am in fact, a person of color, and after
watching Patrick’s testimony about being a person of color because of his
Cambodian roots, I felt the need to declare within myself that my colorful
history is important.
Patrick’s
testimony caused me to reflect on my knowledge of the Southeast Asian country
of Laos where my father was born and forced to flee in the name of war. His testimony helped me reflect on the
pre-retreat assignment of researching the history of my people and writing
about the Secret War on Laos, in which the US dropped over 2 million bombs on
Laos, making Laos the most bombed country not only in US history, but in world
history. Why don’t we teach these
things to our kids on school? Is it that
we are scared give the US a negative reputation? Are we scared to look stupid, incompetent, irrational,
trigger happy, or even evil as a nation?
Is it really in the public’s best interest to just take our mistakes as
a nation and just sweep them under the rug in hopes that no one looks under
there for the rest of their lives and just hope no one trips on the heaping
pile of secret history? If we as a
nation could just humble ourselves, accept our faults, our wrong doings, we
could have open conversations to stop history (yes, even the secret history) from
repeating itself.
If Ethnic
Studies could become a required class in the education system, I feel like we
would raise up so many great leaders to help push the entire world in a better
direction. I wish we had the opportunity
to learn about areas, histories, and traditions of the world in order create more
diverse knowledge. It would be nice if
people learned that Asia and Africa are continents and having that information
reinforced through the studying of cultural differences rather than me having
to explain to people “no, no, I do NOT speak Asian” or have to be faced with
the question “are you Chinese or are you Asian?” It is very disheartening to hear such
ignorance, and honestly sometimes innocent ignorance regarding cultural differences. I often think, if I didn’t have a Laotian
father, would I too be asking these types of questions?
This week, I wanted to post a few pictures about who I am, some of my family history, and the beautiful diversity that surrounds me daily.
***The Secret War on Laos <-- Learn more about the Secret War on Laos here!
![]() |
| My family :) |
![]() |
| My family in Laos |
![]() |
| Me, my father, my grandmother, my little sister, & my uncle photo bombing in the back lol. |
![]() |
| Laotian traditional dance called "fawn" |
![]() |
| When you're raised in America, you eat french fries with everything lol, even traditional Lao cuisine. |
![]() |
| My family, again :) |






I resonate so much with your post because similarly I felt success at WHS because when I went home my white mother resonated with the history lessons, the french classes I was taking, and the white classical music that I practiced for band. I was so pro that school, meaning I was a person who couldn't understand why others were not successful and I think that "brainwashing" happens at such a young age. We start looking at our own cultures as a subset of theirs instead of something that is just as valuable. The subtle messaging even in the name "ethnic studies" says that we are "other" and that our history is not HISTORY but instead an elective. Unlearning our education and rediscovering ourselves is so hard for any human. We got this though.
ReplyDeleteThank you for this beautiful post Angela--for your analytical and personal reckoning with this week's readings. Your post really brings home to me how deeply personal and political school and especially history/ social studies can be. Almost whether we want to or not, large swathes of our identities are formed in those classrooms, through the repeated stories and omissions that we are made to see as our own and as FACT. I love Zoe's post above and I can't say her last two lines any better "Unlearning our education and rediscovering ourselves is so hard for any human. We got this though." YES!
ReplyDeleteAlso, thank you for sharing your beautiful photos.