Week 4: Ideologies
Angela C. Stanley
Week 4 Readings: I Know What I Believe: Using Theory
to Prepare Youth Workers and Principles for Youth Development
|
Quote
|
Reflection
|
|
“People
don’t buy what you do; they buy why you do it. And what you do simply proves what you
believe.” Youth development is complex,
multifaceted and challenging work. The
“what” of youth work – skills and competencies – are critical to the
professional training of youth workers.
And the “why” – the values, culture, theories of change that shape youth
worker identities and ideologies – are equally vital.
McKamey,
Bogad, Clemons, & Restler
|
This
resonates with me because I am a firm believer that what you believe will
always shine through your actions. The
methods I decide to work with is a clear reflection of what I value.
|
|
Development
is a process, not a goal. People continue to develop throughout their
lifetimes. Therefore, promoting youth development is an enduring, overarching
purpose, not a goal that is ever finally achieved.
Hamilton,
Hamilton, & Pittman
|
I
am usually one to measure things with SMART goals (specific, measurable,
attainable, relevant, and time-based).
However, this passage made me feel like the term “development” should
both be in the same context as the term “goals,” and yet so far away from
it. I agree with this idea that
development is never achieved; that there is no cap in development. However, I still believe that you can
measure development in terms of hitting goals.
|
|
The
fact that all youth are developing and their development can be either
enhanced or impeded by the opportunities available to them in their families,
schools, and communities definitely does not mean that all youth need the
same thing.
Hamilton,
Hamilton, & Pittman
|
I
agree with this. Youth are all unique
individuals, regardless of any similar backgrounds they may have. Nature is equally as important as nurture
and I believe that it should be demonstrated in the way we address youth,
youth problems, and youth solutions.
|
|
Development
is not simply something that happens to a person; agency refers to the
developing person’s active involvement in shaping the process of development,
for example, by choosing challenging activities and seeking supportive
relationships. This conception underlies the principle that youth are
participants rather than simply recipients; they are responsible actors. This
principle goes by many names, such as youth voice, participation, and
empowerment. It is rooted in the rights young people have as citizens of a
democracy and in what is most beneficial to their development (Convention on
the Rights of the Child, 1989).
Hamilton,
Hamilton, & Pittman
|
Give
youth the opportunity to make decisions and voice their opinions so they can
grow, develop, and build autonomy, rather than sheltering them and then
kicking them out to fend for themselves when they are 18. How could they possibly understand the importance
of responsibility if they were never taught it or never given the chance to
experiment with making decisions, understanding repercussions to actions, and
experience the results to the choices they’ve made? Let them speak.
|
|
Adults
in this framework aim to support young people as they engage in dialogue,
conversation, and action within existing democratic structures (Roholt, et
al., 2013). Our students come to YD
with a desire to make a positive impact and this focused, direct-action
approach helps them feel like they can make a difference.
McKamey,
Bogad, Clemons, & Restler
|
At
first, I felt like the idea of Civic Youth Development wasn’t the best for
me. I felt like I was leaning more
toward the Positive role because I am so interested in holistic health and positive
reinforcement. As I read this passage,
my first reaction was that it was undesirable in the sense that it limits individualism. Structures are already predetermined and
there is no ability for immediate self-expression, but rather only the
ability to reform and change something existing. This didn’t sit well with me. However, the more I reflected on this passage,
the more I began to align it with my future goals. I would eventually like to become a Licensed
Mental Health Counselor and work with student athletes in the realm of sport
psychology. This is an existing
structure that I feel like I can progress with my own personal uniqueness along
with the individuals I will hopefully one day be working with. And so, I understand how this ideology gravitated
to me, or vice versa.
|
Thanks for your post Angela. The Ideology Inventory is definitely NOT an exact science and there may be elements of each approach that resonate (or don't). I appreciate your thoughtful approach to thinking about development, particularly as someone who is deeply involved with observing, supporting and nurturing children's development.
ReplyDeleteFrome Lauren (who was having trouble posting from her phone): First, thank you for your post - I appreciate the thoughtfulness that you put into it. It is definitely a pet peeve of mine to have so many youth just thrown out at 18 and then to also have staff that are so judgmental about how they do not have their lives together and want them to sign themselves back into a program. However, we have had contact with most of these youth for years prior to this point so to have them sign back in and potentially utilize town resources all on their own within a month seems fairly punishing when realistically there was all that time to work with them. Lastly, back to the actual readings of the week, I have the Positive Youth Development Ideology. However, I am so familiar with this that I also decided to read the civic article. I find that it has become important to me to utilize ALL the ideologies and that I do like few and wish I could get in the habit of incorporating them more. Much like you though, I hope that the group structure does not overshadow or interfere with the individual.
ReplyDelete